Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Two of my most favorite things lately...ya just can't go wrong when you have spray paint and chunky birdies...truly. So, my gal pal, Kelli Collins at Polka Dot Chicks and also Scrapbooks, Etc in Mesa, AZ made the most awesome book art decor and well...since I had some old books around (the library sells 'em for CHEAP...I can't NOT buy them!!) and I had some spray paint begging to be used, and, of course I had a Dollar Tree chunky birdie...I figger'd why not make one for myself...? My take on it looks a little sompthin' like this:


oooohhh....it just makes me happy!

It's gonna go live on my piano...the one I got for $100 that the hubs says I am NOT allowed to spray paint...what kinda lousy deal is that...ha!
Ready for the details?

So here we have a bitty bird. Kinda cute, but I'm really after it's feathers, so I ripped 'em off...the side ones and the long tail ones...poor birdie.


...but I much prefer the chunky birdies...and so does Marzipan! The Dollar Tree has 'em all the time and that makes me happy. I also grabbed a packet of plastic beads. It's a multipack.


Oh, speaking of Marzipan...she's my helper today buhcuz my poor Bear isn't able to help out just yet. Surgery went well but it's gonna be a long road to recovery.
Thanks, Marzi! She's showing you some books I found at the library store. The big, red one there was a dollar. It's a recipe book from the 50's and the hubs says I can't use it for crafty things. Fine.


And so I thought I might wrap the books in some lovely Bazzill paper...


but, naahhh...decided it would take too much work. Sorry Bazzill.


So then I thought I might paint them with craft paint...


but I didn't like that shade of green...
apparently I'm in a mood, or something...



mmmmm...spray paint...I love you!!!
Look at those colors! Now that's what I'm talking about!!


For the base, I picked the biggest book out of the three I'm gonna use and spray painted it green. Then I covered the edges with some left-over eyelet trim stuff from a Pioneer dress I made for my daughter once upon a time...like forever ago. I just used hot glue to stick it on.


I left a bit of green book showing at the bottom...


...and now Vanessa has come to show you that I have spray painted another coupla books in yellow and off-white...I didn't glue 'em just yet...


cuz I saw this ribbon in my stash...it's some cute ribbon from Creative Escape...!
So I wrapped it around the two smaller books and tied a knot but didn't have enough for a big bow, so I had to improvise...


These are the scraps so I glued them together like this:


and stuck it under the knot like this:


And then I glued the little books on top of the big ones...
This little ledge needed some love so I glued some of those beads right there:


And some crepe paper flowers for sure are needed...
So I twisted the paper...


added a blob of hot glue on my Splat Mat...


stuck and wrapped...added more glue as I went along. I made two. One big/one little...


Then I added some sparkly Bazzill Buttons and some small Pom-Poms and stuck 'em to the book right here in the corner. I tucked some tulle behind the flowers cuz it's cute. 
Look close at the finished pic and you'll see it.


Oh hey...remember those Tin Can Easter Baskets? I took the handle off of one and glued it to the top of the books to the right side by the knot and fake bow tails and wrapped it with a buncha Bazzill Tulle to look like a nest almost...I added dots of hot glue as I went along so it would stick...if you choose to do that be warned...it's mesh and the glue is hot!!


Made one more flower outta some green sheer ribbon strips folded in half and glued together in the middle...


And added some sparkle, of course and stuck it on top of the knot/fake bow tails to cover up some ugly, if ya know what I mean...and I found a sewing pin on the floor...I guess it fell off of that old eyelet stuff cuz I haven't sewn in years...so I stuck it in a crepe paper flower...see it right there?


And then there's Mr. Birdie! He's been painted yella and been sprinkled with some fine glitter and so has his little house. It's the bottom of that can. I added some clear beads too...and of course his eyes have been plucked out and replaced with some sparkly Bazzill Jewels...yay for sparkle!!


I am pretty sure this is some tumbleweed...found it by my door and thought it would work for some crafty thing...and this was just the crafty thing for it!


Annnnd...do do do dooo! Happy! It just makes me happy, I tell ya!!


Have a lovely and peaceful and quiet and calm Mother's Day, everybody! (wink)







Photobucket